The Advanced Fetal Monitoring Course is a one-day course that expands on the knowledge and principles that were presented in the Intermediate Fetal Monitoring Course and covers more complex concepts. This course uses a case study approach focusing on the analysis of complicated FHM patterns and characteristics with related case information and includes an optional online test. It is presented in a standardized format that can be used as an educational assessment to validate the knowledge of experienced perinatal clinicians.
The course emphasizes the following:
- Maternal-fetal physiology related to complex FHR tracings
- Verbal and written communication skills
- Risk-management principles
Upon successful completion of the course the participant will:
- Describe physiologic principles of maternal and fetal oxygenation transfer as they apply to principles of fetal heart monitoring.
- Recognize fetal cardiac arrhythmia patterns and describe potential outcomes associated with these patterns.
- Analyze complex case studies and tracings utilizing standardized terminology.
- Apply perinatal risk management principles, communication techniques and documentation strategies to complex and challenging patient care scenarios.
Expected Level of Learner:
The Advanced Course is designed for perinatal clinicians with at least one year of intrapartum clinical experience. Individuals are expected to assess their own eligibility to participate in the
course and should seek counsel and guidance from the instructor as needed. While attendance at the Intermediate Fetal Monitoring Course is not a mandatory prerequisite to attending the Advanced Fetal Monitoring Course, the AWHONN Fetal Heart Monitoring educational learning pathway recommends progression from the Intermediate to the Advanced Fetal Monitoring Course.
The Advanced Fetal Monitoring Course format is based on adult educational theory. The instruction design incorporates critical thinking and decision making and is specifically designed for clinicians with previous FHM experiences. Physicians and residents may also participate in the program.
- Advanced Fetal Monitoring Course (does NOT include textbook) - $200.00
- Principles and Practices Textbook (optional) - $75.00
Continuing Education Credit:
A total of 8 contact hours of continuing nursing education or 6 hours of continuing medical education credit will be awarded to those who attend and participate in the entire course.
- AWHONN is accredited as a provider of continuing nursing education by the American Nurses Credentialing Center's Commission on Accreditation
- AWHONN also holds a California BRN Number California CNE Provider Number CEP 580
- Accredited status does not imply endorsement by AWHONN or ANCC of any commercial products displayed or discussed in conjunction with an activity
Prior to the Course:
Each participant must review the most recent Fetal Heart Monitoring Principles and Practices textbook (Fifth Edition). (The textbook, if applicable, will be sent to you after registration is received.)
Donna Hintz, BA, RN, CLC
Penny Welk, BSN, RNC-OB, CLC