High-level skill meets technology on the Western Edge
Our orthopaedic care team combines a high level of skill and cutting-edge technology to provide patients with exceptional outcomes - right here in Dickinson. CHI St. Alexius Health Dickinson and The Bone & Joint Center work together as a team to give our orthopaedic patients the best experiece possible. See below for testamonials from some of our patients.
Robotic-arm assisted technology
In January 2021, CHI St. Alexuis Health Dickinson Orthopaedics announced the purchase and installation of the Stryker Mako System -- robotic-arm assisted technology for use in total knee, partial knee and total hip replacements. The highly advanced robotic technology transforms the way joint replacement surgery is performed, enabling surgeons to have a more predictable surgical experience with increased accuracy. This is the only orthopaedic robot of its scope for all 3 applications (partial knee, total knee, and total hip) available within a 300 mile radius of Dickinson.
See below for further information on the Mako System technology.
Orthopaedic Care at CHI St. Alexius Health Dickinson offers excellent orthopaedic specialties in:
- Joint Replacement
- Sports Medicine
- Bone and Joint Disease
- Hips, Knees, Shoulders and Hands
- Foot Surgery/Arthroscopic Surgery
The Mako Robotic-Arm is an advanced innovation in orthopaedic surgery that is transforming the way joint replacement procedures are performed. With the increasing need for knee and hip replacements due to normal wear-and-tear, sports injuries and overuse injuries, Mako technology is enhancing the joint replacement experience for patients of all ages.
Stryker's Mako System is a robotic-arm assisted technology for use in total knee, partial knee and total hip replacements. Using a virtual 3D model, Mako allows surgeons to create each patient's surgical plan before the surgery. During surgery, the surgeon implements the plan and adjusts for increased accuracy while using the robotic arm.
The highly advanced robotic technology transforms the way joint replacement surgery is performed, enabling surgeons to have a more predictable surgical experience with increased accuracy.
Mako is an interactive robotic arm that provides the surgeon with real-time, visual, tactile and auditory feedback throughout the procedure to ensure optimum placement of the implant and restore both the bio-mechanical alignment and range-of-motion of the joint.
Using 3-D printing technology, Mako also allows the surgeon to create a detailed model of the existing joint and develop a surgical plan customized to each patient's diagnosis and anatomy prior to the actual surgery. During the surgery, any necessary adjustments can be made using the robotic arm and image-guided technology to execute the plan.
Mako Total Knee Application
- The Mako Total Knee application is a knee replacement option designed to relieve the pain caused by joint degeneration due to oasteoarthritis. Through CT-based 3D modeling of bone anatomy, surgeons can use the Mako System to create a personalized surgical plan and identify the implant size, orientation and alignment based on each patient's unique anatomy. The Mako System also enables surgeons to virtually modify the surgical plan intra-operatively and assists the surgeon in executing bone resections.
Mako Partial Knee Application
- The Mako Partial Knee application is a treatment option designed to relieve the pain caused by joint degeneration due to osteoarthritis that has not yet progressed to all three compartments of the knee. Following the personalized pre-operative plan, the surgeon guides the robotic-arm during bone preparation to execute the pre-determined surgical plan and position the implant. By selectively targeting only the part of the knee damaged by osteoarthritis, surgeons can resurface the diseased portion of the knee, while helping to spare the healthy bone and ligaments surrounding the knee joint. Studies have shown robotic-arm assisted partial knee replacement to be two to three times more accurate than manual partial knee replacement procedures.
Mako Total Hip Application
- The Mako Total Hip application is a treatment option for adults who suffer from degenerative joint disease of the hip. During surgery, the surgeon guides the robotic-arm during bone preparation to prepare the hip socket and position the implant according to the pre-determined surgical plan. In cadaveric studies, Mako total hip replacement acetabular cup placement has been shown to be four times more accurate and reproducible than manual total hip replacement procedures.
To learn more about how this robotic technology can help you during your joint procedure, contact 701-456-4694.
Donna Abrahamson of Dickinson, Orthopaedic Patient, shares her feedback:
"From the day I walked in for my initial appointment until I was released following a total shoulder replacement, I couldn’t have been in a better hospital. CHI St. Alexius Health Dickinson took care of me from the beginning to the end. My initial reaction was I couldn’t believe the friendliness displayed by not only the receptionists but the whole staff as well. Throughout the whole process I was incredibly well-informed with not only the initial diagnosis, but am still being updated on the progress I have seen since the surgery was completed.
My experience pre-surgery to post-surgery was phenomenal. Each of the nurses who worked on and with me were not only incredibly knowledgeable, but super friendly as well. The whole staff was very warm and caring from beginning to the end.
The surgery went so well because of the doctor who performed the procedure. Before the surgery it was very relaxing as my husband and I met with the surgeon Dr. Cote and were informed step-by-step of what it would entail. I was checked on numerous times by the staff after the surgery was done and still am in contact with them as the total process is coming to an end.
It is truly a blessing to have the care CHI St. Alexius is able to provide to our city. With an easy-to-get to location on the west side of town that has ample parking and a tremendous facility, the clinic and hospital is certainly one of the finest healthcare facilities in North Dakota. With all of the up-to-date equipment and an experienced staff who runs it, we couldn’t ask for a better situation. Rather than getting in a vehicle and chasing down the road, we only have to take a short drive and we are in the midst of excellent healthcare. The clinic/hospital provides everything Bismarck or Fargo could provide to the east and Billings to the west. I would recommend CHI St. Alexius Health Dickinson to anyone!"