CHI St. Alexius Health provides evidence-based and supportive care for tobacco dependence. Tobacco use is the leading cause of premature disease and death in the United States and is a primary driver of hospitalizations for cancers, stroke, cardiovascular and respiratory diseases, and pregnancy and newborn complications. Tobacco use also interferes with recovery and contributes to delayed bone and wound healing, infection, and other post-operative complications.
Tobacco Treatment Specialists work with you to develop a plan that gives you the best chance of success. When you're ready to stop using tobacco, the right treatment approach can make it easier than you might think.
Treatment options include:
- Individual consultation and customized treatment plan
- Outpatient counseling
- Bedside treatment for hospitalized individuals
- Baby and Me Tobacco Free Program
Tobacco Treatment Specialists can help:
- Answer questions and/or concerns about quitting
- Explain treatment options
- Put together a Quit Plan
- Set a Quit Date
Quit Smoking Resources
- Quit Smoking for Good (video)
- Talking with a Tobacco Treatment Specialist (video)
- Support for Hospital Patients Who Smoke
Baby & Me Tobacco Free Program
Baby & Me Tobacco Free Program is a smoking cessation program created to reduce the use of tobacco products among women during the prenatal and postpartum period. Trained facilitators learn how to talk to their clients about the stages of change, how to set a quit date, how to ask for a tobacco-free home and car and how to be prepared for life without cigarettes or other tobacco products. A quit kit is provided, full of tools to help with behavior changes during cravings and withdrawals.
Our overall mission is to reduce the burden of tobacco on our society. We seek to accomplish this mission by addressing the high prevalence of smoking among young women during pregnancy. By providing counseling support and resources to pregnant women, it is our goal that they will quit smoking and maintain smoking cessation throughout the postpartum period and beyond. Our program is successful in helping women quit smoking and stay quit, resulting in improved birth outcomes and long-term positive outcomes for women, children, and their families.
Program Requirements Application
- Participants attend four prenatal counseling sessions and six post-partum visits.
- Women are given up to 6 vouchers, valued at $50 each, for free diapers up to six months after their baby is born - as long as they remain tobacco-free.