CHI St. Alexius Health Turtle Lake was established through the efforts of the Turtle Lake Hospital Association in 1947. The actual construction was completed in 1952, with additions built in 1963 and 1969.
The original mission of the association is the same today, that is, a commitment to excellence of services in a person-centered environment that reflects regard and respect for the total good of the patient and all human life.
CHI St. Alexius Health Turtle Lake Hospital is now a Critical Access Hospital (January 1, 2000). The 25 bed medical facility has become a vital asset to the communities it serves, with patient admissions having increased significantly in recent years.
The reason for these substantial increases is a strong community support. The local people want a professional medical facility close to home. In order for a rural hospital to survive, it has to be wanted, and it has to be supported by the community. The people of the Turtle Lake region and surrounding communities saw this need and this is why Turtle Lake Hospital is alive today.
In January of 1987, Community Memorial Hospital in Turtle Lake, became affiliated with St. Alexius Medical Center in Bismarck. At this time, St. Alexius provided medical equipment, a physical therapist, as well as management and administrative services.
In 1990, St. Alexius Medical Center signed a lease agreement for the operation of te hospital. The Hospital Association remains responsible for the upkeep of the building. This is done through fund raising activities.